BC Safety Authority proposed an increase of a weighted average of 9% over the next three years to fees for the electrical, gas, elevating devices and boiler, pressure vessel and refrigeration technologies. Additional changes were also proposed for specific fees. The new fee schedules will be effective January 12, 2015.
The final decision was posted on October 10, 2014, 2:30pm PDT.
This consultation was closed on September 15, 2014, 12:00pm PDT.
Review the consultation material
Learn about the feedback received
This consultation is now closed. Thank you to those who took the time to provide their feedback on this issue.
Summary results of the consultation
BC Safety Authority has come to a decision on all proposed changes.
Taking into account stakeholder feedback, BC Safety Authority has revised proposals in its final decision. For more information on the decision announcement, modifications and rationale for each change, please review the decision document.
Effective: January 12, 2015
1. Electrical, gas, elevating devices and boiler, pressure and refrigeration fees will be increased by an average of 3% in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Refer to the appropriate fee schedules for specific changes.
2. Fee cap on electrical installation permits valued over $1 million will be removed.
3. The removal of the fee cap on electrical operating permits for distributed sites will be phased in over a three year period. The fee cap for this type of operating permit account holder will be:
- 2015: $2,120 (3% increase)
- 2016: $4,000
- 2017: $8,000
- 2018: Account cap removed.
In elevating devices
4. To encourage better safety outcomes, a fee multiplier for re-assessments performed on elevating devices (new installations and major alterations) that have failed their final assessment will be implemented as follows:
- 2015: fees for the second re-assessment, and each additional re-assessment thereafter, will be billed at 2x the initial assessment rate.
- 2016: fees for the first re-assessment will be billed at 1.5x the existing billing rate. Fees for the second re-assessment, and each additional re-assessment thereafter, will continue to be billed at 2x the initial assessment rate.
5. Installation permit fee schedules for fully detached and multi-unit dwellings will be combined.
In boilers, pressure vessels and refrigeration
6. Hourly rates for design registration fees for boilers, pressure vessels and refrigeration will be replaced by standardized flat fees.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org