Electrical Operating Permits

The Spring 2014 issue of Electrical Safety News is now available!

Owners of high voltage equipment, any system with a supply over 250 kVA or a building with this type of equipment or supply, often need an operating permit.

To apply for your permit

  1. Complete the Electrical Operating Permit Application Form 410,
  2. Name a Field Safety Representative (FSR) in your application. The FSR may be an employee of the equipment owner or an electrical contractor,
  3. Submit the form in person at your nearest BCSA office.

We will mail an invoice once the application has been processed. For information on these fees, please see the Electrical Fee Schedule.

If you have an operating permit, and your Field Safety Representative has changed, you must submit a Notice of FSR Change immediately.

Renewing your operating permit

Renew your existing operating permit by completing the Operating Permit Renewal and Declaration Form 1218. Submit in person at your nearest BCSA office.

Operating permits may take several weeks to issue from the date you submit an application.

Electrical Contractors Guide

For more information regarding becoming an electrical contractor in British Columbia, please refer to the Electrical Contractor's Guide.

Contact us

For more information on how to obtain an operating permit or for any questions, please contact us at:

Toll free: 1-866-566-7233
Email: electricaloperatingpermits@safetyauthority.ca

Electrical Installation Permits

The Spring 2014 issue of Electrical Safety News is now available!

Licensed contractors need a permit before they begin to install electrical products. If you have an installation permit and the scope of the work has changed, please amend the permit at your nearest BCSA office.

Please note: BC Safety Authority issues electrical installation permits for the Province of British Columbia with the exception of these jurisdictions.

Electrical Contractors Guide

A reference for all those electrical contractors and/or persons who wish to become licensed electrical contractors within the province of British Columbia, please review the Electrical Contractors Guide.

Electrical Installation Permits

If you have a MyConnection account, you can log on to obtain an installation permit. Alternatively, you can call our contact centre at 1-866-566-7233 for your permit needs OR you can follow these steps:

  1. Create an account on our website at: https://safetyauthority.ca/user/register
  2. FORM: go to http://safetyauthority.ca/form/electrical-installation-form-406-contractor
  3. Login with your username & password
    TIP: If you cannot recall your username &/or password, you can submit a request by entering your email here: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/user/password.
    TIP #2: Your email will be entered automatically into the form.
  4. Complete the form
    TIP: All mandatory items have a red *
  5. Click the submit button
  6. You will get an email copy of the form in your inbox. Check your inbox
    TIP: Need support? You can call our Call Centre at 1-866-566-7233
  7. You will receive a phone call from BC Safety Authority to confirm fees for your installation permit

Please be prepared to pay the appropriate Electrical Contractor Installation Fees.

Your Field Safety Representative (FSR) must inspect your installations when each phase is complete, and at least once every 180 days after all work under the permit has been completed and/or after the final inspection has been completed.

After the inspection, please ensure your FSR has submitted the Electrical Contractor Authorization and Declaration of Compliance Electrical Inspection Request Form 206 using the same steps described above.

Permit Fees Based on Job Value

Permit fees in the category “Contractor Installation Permits – Other” are based on the total price paid by the client for the project including all labour and materials, from any source, but excluding utilization equipment.

For further clarification, utilization equipment is classified as the following:

  • Equipment that utilizes electrical energy for mechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar useful purposes.

Examples of utilization equipment can include (but is not limited to) such items as:

  • lighting fixtures
  • heaters
  • motors
  • fans
  • furnaces
  • heat pumps
  • security cameras
  • hand dryers
  • appliances


HID Safety Alert for Electrical Contractors

Section 2 - General Rules

Services - Service Equipment - Panelboards

Electrical Technology Committee Minutes April 2010