Advisory No. R2015-3-09
Date of Issue: March 9, 2015
The following advisory is to inform provincially regulated railways of a railway related safety concern.
On February 27, 2015 an industrial railway conductor was killed on the job when he was struck by railway equipment.
The company was using a tractor to move railway equipment, the tractor operator stepped between the tractor and the railway equipment and was caught in the pinch points.
In the performance of railway operations, rules and safe work procedures must be followed. All provincial railways should take a moment to review their own safety procedures.
In an effort to reduce injuries and fatalities, the Switching Operations Fatalities Analysis (SOFA) working group recommends railway workers practice the following:
- Secure all equipment before action is taken.
- Protect employees against moving equipment.
- Discuss safety at the beginning of a job or when work changes.
- Communicate before action is taken.
- Mentor less experienced employees to perform service safely.
For additional information please contact the BCSA Railway Safety Program administration at 778‐396‐2044 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org