Under the guidance of the Safety Manager, supervise a team of multi-disciplinary Safety Officers for the provision of field services, which includes technical assessment, education and outreach activities, incident investigations and enforcement. Through established business processes, this position ensures the operational effectiveness of program services, by way of performance based measurement, quality assurance, and the delegated management of components of the budget. This role is key to integrating standardized practices across a multi-disciplinary matrix organization and to improving operating practices and maintaining strong client relations in the field.
- Manages the delivery of field services to achieve established business plan objectives and safety program requirements. This includes the monitoring, reporting and communication of individual and workload, priorities and performance.
- Responsible for ensuring Occupational Health and Safety requirements of the team are fulfilled. This includes training, reporting is completed and safety meetings occur and minutes are completed.
- Provides guidance, support and advice to Safety Officers on the delivery of all field services – including but not limited to: Assessment services; Enforcement; Investigations; and, Education and Outreach.
- Manages daily client issues and complaints, and keeps the Safety Manager informed of emerging trends and opportunities.
- Ensures quality, performance and consistency of services, through periodic work practice reviews and continuous improvement initiatives.
General description of duties:
- Accountable for administrative tasks such as approving safety officer travel claims, sundry invoices, Posse variance reports, STAR billings, monitoring monthly budget reports, ensuring safety officer coverage and approving leave management requests.
- Oversees and responsible for the delivery of assessment services including inspection, audit, compliance monitoring, risk assessment and evaluations to ensure client service and support is adequately focused and effective. Coordinates the allocation of resources and oversees the successful delivery of education and outreach initiatives.
- Coordinates the allocation of resources to hazard and incident investigations and, as required directs a team of Safety Officer Investigators to ensure the effective and efficient execution of the investigative process. Provides support, coaching, guidance, and advice to Safety Officers on enforcement issues and ensures processes are followed to optimize the effectiveness of enforcement actions.
- Coordinates project-based initiatives meant to support the advancement of assessment services, execution of risk control strategies, implementation of new tools for Safety Officers, and optimization of revenues.
- Collaborates with the Senior Safety Officers to continually improve the technical competence of Safety Officers through the review of certificates of inspection, incident investigation reports, assessments of as found conditions and identification of technological changes within the disciplines, and to ensure timely and effective technical direction for consistent delivery of safety services.
- Supports the performance management of a team of Safety Officers. Provides leadership that effectively develops and motivates a multi-disciplinary team of Safety Officers. Provides coaching, training, role clarity and performance support as required. This includes assessing safety officer capabilities, monitoring and managing performance metrics, creating training plans to develop required areas, establishing plans to assist safety officers with succession planning and career development, facilitating performance management discussions, work scheduling, and accountability for team effectiveness. Provides input to the Safety Manager on the development and completion of Safety Officer Performance Review Plans.
- Provides support to the Safety Manager in developing tactical service delivery plans, including creating and maintaining client relationships that contribute to and champions t he advancement of the corporate strategy and the achievement of business plan targets. Reports on program performance using established metrics.
- Provides input into the development and implementation of operational policies, plans, standards, business processes, programs, metrics and reports to ensure that services are delivered consistently within and across technologies and in accordance with legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for the resolution of daily client issues and complaints. Documents actions taken and follows up internally and externally to bring closure to the issue or complaint.
- On request, provides coverage or acts on behalf of the Safety Manager.
- Requires a combination of technical and business acumen, as demonstrated by 5-7 years of work experience; a diploma or certificate in Business Management, a certificate of a recognized trade qualification or a combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience leading people and managing projects. Experience within a unionized environment and interpreting Collective Agreements is preferred.
- Proven ability to interpret complex technical Acts and Regulations related to multiple services across technologies. Understanding of technical regulations, policy and program requirements.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment, addressing a broad array of business and technical issues, and varying client needs and expectations.
- Experience analyzing business requirements, developing tactical business plans.
- Experience in risk management and risk assessment principles.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, and providing one-on-one instruction.
- Strong inter-personal skills, with demonstrated experience in client service, and conflict resolution. Ability to influence cross functional teams.
- Exceptional oral/presentation and written communication skills with the proven ability to mediate and resolve sensitive issues using business insight and diplomacy.
- Strong PC skills using Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be, or able to become, knowledgeable of Occupational Health and Safety standards, regulations, and best practices.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete this application procedure:
- Copy and paste the questions (below) to your email and provide an answer to each question.
- Save your cover letter and resume into one document, preferably a PDF file, quoting competition number 15-16.
- Attach additional documents as may be required.
- Apply Now.
- Do you currently work or have you previously worked for BC Safety Authority? (Response: Yes or No). If yes, please provide your position and department.
- Are you legally entitled to work in Canada? (Response: Yes or No). If you are on a work or study permit, please provide the expiry date.
- Do you have a combination of technical and business acumen, as demonstrated by 5-7 years of work experience; a diploma or certificate in Business Management, a certificate of a recognized trade qualification? (Response: Yes or No).
- Do you have an experience leading people and managing projects? (Response: Yes or No).
- Do you have an experience within a unionized environment? (Response: Yes or No).
- Do you have an ability to interpret complex technical Acts and Regulations related to multiple services across technologies? (Response: Yes or No).
- Do you have an experience analyzing business requirements, developing tactical business plans? (Response: Yes or No).
- Do you have an experience in risk management and applying risk assessment principles? (Response: Yes or No).