|The first gas newsletter is now available! Share it with your friends and colleagues - sign up to get the next issue sent automatically to your inbox.|
Design Registration for Uncertified Gas Equipment and Systems
If you intend to build a new piece of gas equipment or bring one into BC from outside the province that is NOT certified by a recognized Canadian testing agency. And if you are re-designing, or modifying a gas appliance or control system, you must have the product or system registered before you begin.
If your system does not fall within the application types listed below, please call the administrator or your local Gas Safety Officer for direction.
Here is the process to submit a design registration for a new gas appliance, equipment or system:
- Complete the appropriate applicaiton for gas design registration and submit it with the proper documentation to BCSA office or electronically to the Administrator Equipment Approvals and Certification.
- Once the design registration is approved, a design registration journal number is issued. The journal number is required to obtain a product approval permit (Form 500). This product approval permit must be applied for to field approve the appliance or system.
- Your gas contractor will have an installation permit in place before the work is done. The gas contractor will ensure that the appliance or system is tested and safely installed, while working with the local Safety Officer.
For more information on what documentation is required for your design submission, please download the Main Design Registration Form as well as the form appropriate to your situation:
- Fireplace showroom common venting
- Bulk Storage
- Control change or Upgrade
- Custom Fireplaces and Fire Features
- Digester and Landfill
- Fuelling Stations
- Movie and Stage effects
- Unapproved Appliance Commercial Industrial
- Unapproved Appliance for which there is a recognized standard
- Vertical subdivisions
For more information or questions, please contact:
Administrator Equipment Approvals and Certification
BC Safety Authority
505 6th Street, Suite 200
New Westminister, BC