NOTE: If you are seeking information for use in legal proceedings please review our policy on RELEASE OF INFORMATION FOR USE IN LEGAL PROCEEDINGS.
What is a Request for Information?
Requesting information from BC Safety Authority (BCSA) is a way for members of the public to access our records. We make this available as part of our commitment to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
FIPPA is intended to increase the accountability of public bodies such as the BCSA and protect personal privacy by:
- Giving the public a right of access to certain public body records
- Giving individuals the right to obtain and ask for correction of their personal information
- Preventing the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of personal information
- Providing for a review by an independent information and privacy commissioner of decisions respecting the collection, use or disclosure of information
Why make a Request for Information?
There are two types of requests -- informal and formal:
- Informal requests are for accessing previously published BCSA printed information. These are typically brochures, annual reports, forms or lists of licensed contractors. Please call 1-866-566-7233 or email email@example.com.
- Formal requests (also referred to as FOI requests) are for information that isn’t routinely available. Formal requests are often made for incident reports, permits, certificates of inspection, compliance orders, complaints or violations, licensing and qualifications.
How to submit a formal request
To make a formal request for information:
- Print and complete the top part of the Request for Information Form 1003 or submit a request in writing by email, mail, or fax. Use additional sheets if required.
- If you are requesting information about someone other than yourself, you must first obtain a signed letter of consent to do so.
- Email, mail or fax the form and consent letter to:
BC Safety Authority
Attn: Records, Information and Privacy Analyst
Suite 200, 505-6th Street
New Westminster, British Columbia
Canada, V3L 0E1
What happens next?
BCSA will respond to your request by mail within 30 days of receipt.
In our response we’ll detail the next steps and, if applicable, the fees involved in processing your request.
If your request is complex and needs longer than 30 days to process, we’ll send you a completion estimate with our initial response.
|Retrieving a record (after the first 3 hours)||$30.00 per hour|
|Producing a record (including copying time)||$30.00 per hour|
|Preparing a record for disclosure and handling charges||$30.00 per hour|
|Shipping a record||At cost|
|Copying a record - Either on photocopy or black & white laser printout||$0.25 per page (8.5" x 11")|
|$0.30 per page (8.5" x 14")|
|$0.50 per page (11" x 17")|
|Copying a record - Colour laser printout (digital photographs)||$1.50 per page (8.5" x 11")|
|$1.75 per page (8.5" x 14")|
|Copying a record:|
|Compact discs||At cost|
|Photographs (colour or black & white)||At cost|
|Drawings or plans (Oversized, larger than tabloid)||At cost|